Sheila Cheng has a Masters of Law (LLM) from the National University of Singapore. She also has a 2nd Upper-Class Honours from the University of Bristol.
Sheila has worked exclusively in the area of family law since her call to the Bar. She has received specialist training in Mediation and Collaborative Practice and has the following specialist family law accreditations:
- Singapore Mediation Centre Accredited Mediator.
- Singapore Mediation Centre Accredited Collaborative Family Practitioner (CFP).
- Appointed to Singapore Mediation Centre’s Panel of Collaborative Family Practitioners (CFP).
Sheila will explore all possible options with a client to determine how best to solve their problem. She uses dispute resolution methods ranging from mediation and negotiation to litigation. Her primary objective is to ensure that the benefits of the approach outweigh the costs and achieve an outcome that is fair and conclusive.
Sheila has focused her career on family law practice, especially in cases involving high conflict and high asset worth. Her significant areas of work include:
- Contested divorce.
- Ancillary reliefs involving contentious children issues and financial issues.
- Advice on prenuptial agreements.
- Interlocutory applications including discovery and interrogatories to ascertain whereabouts of missing assets.
- Appeal cases.
Sheila’s ability to research thoroughly, think deeply about legal issues, and present them clearly in arguments makes her a key member of the team.
As a student, Sheila volunteered as a writer at the Meet the People’s sessions at Holland – Bukit Timah GRC. Outside of work, she also spends time doing volunteer work in Thailand.