Derek is a specialist family lawyer. He has had a penchant for family law since his undergraduate days and has interned in leading family law firms in Singapore before being called to the Bar. Since being called to the Bar, Derek has worked exclusively in the area of family law, with some exposure to civil, personal insolvency and conveyancing work.
Derek believes in therapeutic justice and has a natural ability to think of practical solutions for his clients. He is also thoughtful, attentive and sensitive to the needs of clients during the lowest points in their lives. He is strongly passionate about the impact on children during their parents’ divorce and strives to resolve proceedings in an expedient and fair manner for all his clients. He has assisted in researching and writing an article on the voices of children in divorce proceedings published in the Asian Journal on Mediation in 2016.
Derek’s areas of work include:
- Contentious and Non-Contentious Divorces;
- Contentious and Non-Contentious Probate applications;
- Grant of Probate;
- Grant of Letters of Administration;
- Mental Capacity Applications;
- Child Abduction Matters;
- Guardianship applications;
- Adoption Applications;
- Personal Protection Order Applications;
- Maintenance Applications;
- Variation and Enforcement Applications;
- Last Will and Testament;
- Lasting Power of Attorney;
- Bankruptcy Application;
- Deed of Separation;
- Pre-Nuptial and Post-Nuptial agreements;
- Deed Poll.
Prior to his undergraduate studies, Derek was a Commando Officer in the Singapore Armed Forces. During his free time, Derek enjoys creating pottery, diving, baking and traveling.