Dorothy Tan is a Senior Associate Director in PKWA Law and Deputy Head of the Family Law Department. Dorothy is widely regarded as one of the leading family lawyers in Singapore:
- Dorothy is listed in the Top 100 Women in Litigation in Asia-Pacific by Benchmark Litigation 2021. The list of Top 100 Women in Litigation focuses on the leading female litigators who have earned their place by participating in the most impactful litigation matters in recent history, as well as by earning the hard-won respect of their peers and clients as top players in their respective fields.
- Dorothy is described as a “Litigation Star in family and matrimonial law in Asia-Pacific” by Benchmark Litigation. The international publisher recognizes “litigation stars” in each country as individuals who were recommended consistently as reputable and highly effective litigators by their clients and peers.
- Recognised as a Leading Lawyer in Doyle’s Guide to the Leading Family & Divorce lawyers in Singapore.
- Named as one of Asia’s top young lawyers in Asian Legal Business 2016 listing of “40 under 40 – Asia’s Brightest Young Legal Minds”.
- Named by the Singapore Business Review as one of Singapore’s Top 20 ‘Most Influential Lawyers aged 40 and under in 2016’.
- Shortlisted for “Woman Lawyer of the Year” by Asian Legal Business at the SE Asia Law Awards 2018.
- Shortlisted for “Young Lawyer of the Year” by Asian Legal Business in 2017.
At the age of 25, Dorothy successfully led a team to win a complex divorce case at the Court of Appeal on the new Singapore law on division of matrimonial assets. In 2020, Dorothy won her second Court of Appeal case. In this case, she won for her client 75% of matrimonial assets worth $13.6 million (up from 25%). The swing from 25% to 75% for her client is arguably one of the biggest amounts in appeals court history.
In both cases, Dorothy acted as lead counsel.