LIM CHONG BOON
Recognised by Benchmark Litigation as a Litigation Star for family law in 2019, 2020 and 2021 and as a Leading Family Lawyer by Doyles Guide
Lim Chong Boon is a Director at PKWA Law. He is Head of the Family Law and General Litigation Practice at PKWA Law. The family law practice is one of the most established in Singapore.
Chong Boon is recognised by Benchmark Litigation as a Litigation Star for family law in 2019, 2020 and 2021. The respected publisher is the definitive guide on the leading litigation lawyers internationally and in the region. Benchmark Litigation recognizes “litigation stars” in each country as individuals who were recommended consistently as reputable and highly effective litigators by their clients and peers.
Chong Boon is also ranked as a Leading Family and Singapore Divorce Lawyer by Doyles Guide.
Chong Boon is also recommended by Global Law Experts 2015 edition as someone who “is valued by clients in civil and family law matters for his knowledge and experience in the law” and for being “practical and streetwise”.
In the area of divorce law, he is recognised as “a good listener”, able to “cut through the issues quickly”. In addition, he is known “to favour mediation over litigation in divorce matters, but will litigate aggressively in court”.
Chong Boon started his practice at Allen & Gledhill, where he had the privilege of working directly under some of Singapore’s best lawyers.
He now has more than 25 years of experience in the Singapore courts. Chong Boon’s practice areas include family and divorce law, probate, commercial litigation, company law, construction litigation, corporate debt recovery, directors and shareholders’ disputes, employment law, intellectual property, immigration matters, insolvency, landlord-tenant disputes, and property disputes.
He has been involved in several high profile cases involving very substantial claims.
As Head of Family Law at PKWA Law, Chong Boon and his team have won numerous accolades, namely:
- PKWA Law is recognised as a leading family divorce law firm by Asian Legal Business at the ALB Southeast Asia Law Awards in 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019 and 2020.
- Global Law Experts 2015 Edition — Lim Chong Boon is a recommended Family and Civil lawyer.
- ACQ Law Awards 2014 — Lim Chong Boon and PKWA Law are recommended in “Family Law.”
- Doyles Guide to Leading Singapore Family & Divorce Law Firms — PKWA Law is ranked as a Leading Matrimonial and Divorce Law Firm for 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.
- Acquisition International 2015 Legal Awards — PKWA is awarded “Best Family Law Firm and Recognised Leader in Divorce Law – Singapore.”
- 2016 Corporate Intl Magazine Global Award: PKWA is awarded “Family Law Firm of the Year in Singapore 2016.”
- ACQ Global Award 2016 – PKWA LAW is awarded “Family Law Firm of the Year 2016.”
Family Law Cases
- Successfully represented the mother in a bitter custody battle over her 2 children. The High Court awarded our client care and control and ordered the father to hand over the children within 7 days or face contempt action. The case took 3 years and involved over 2,000 pages of court documents.
- Represented a prominent and wealthy Singapore businessman in his divorce proceedings and ancillary issues.
- Acted for a prominent senior Singapore lawyer in a highly contentious divorce matter, division of assets and custody of the children.
- Represented the CEO of a listed company in his divorce proceedings and ancillaries.
- Acted for a wife to recover half of the ex-husband’s lottery win.
- Represents high net worth clients in pre-nuptial agreements.
Chong Boon has been interviewed by the media for his views on family law, including:
- acting in protracted and highly complex litigation in the Singapore High Court of one of the largest corporate bond defaults in emerging markets history involving Asia Paper and Pulp. The claim was worth US$300 million and involved legal experts from the US and Indonesia, and decisions involving the Supreme Court of the State of New York and the Supreme Court of Indonesia (OCM Opportunities Fund II, LP and Others v Pt Indah Kiat Pulp & Paper Corporation and Another  SGHC 73).
- Advising the leading global water services operator in employment matters and general corporate advice for its Asia Pacific office.
- Acting for a government statutory board to obtain urgent interlocutory injunctions against occupiers for causing nuisance and breach of contract.
- Acting for Jurong Town Corporation in property disputes and to obtain possession of property from errant tenants.
- Acting for all 8 defendants in the High Court and Court of Appeal to successfully defend a US$27 million multi cause of action claim for breach of contract, breach of agency and conspiracy to defraud (Fornet Enterprise Co Ltd v Howell Universal Pte Ltd and Others  SGHC 33).
- Acting for Propnex, one of the largest property agency companies in Singapore, in an action against some of its former employees and agents for poaching its staff and breach of contract.
- Defending former students in a defamation suit brought by a trainer.
- Acting for a US-listed MNC in litigation over the construction of a wafer fab plant in Singapore.
- Acting for DBS Bank in the recovery of credit card and housing loans.
- Acting for the Nominee to successfully seek bankruptcy protection under the Bankruptcy Act for two directors of TT International Ltd, a company listed on the Main Board of the Singapore Exchange Securities Trading Limited. This allowed the directors to resolve and restructure their personal liabilities of about $51 million arising out of corporate guarantees they had executed in connection with the company’s debts.
- Acting for a major international hotel chain in respect to their dispute with a Singapore landlord;
- Acting in the Singapore High Court in litigation with an international construction and engineering company over the construction of a plant. The case was one of the first in Singapore to involve the electronic discovery of documents stored in servers.
Some of Chong Boon’s reported cases include Fornet Enterprise Co Ltd vs Howell Universal Pte Ltd & others  2 SLR 349;  SGHC 33 and OCM Opportunities Fund II, LP and others vs PT Indah Kiat Pulp and Paper Corporation  SGHC 73.
- Chong Boon was on the Council of the Law Society of Singapore for 2 terms (1993 to 1996).
- Appointed by the Chief Justice to the Inquiry Panel of the Law Society of Singapore for two-year terms (2013 to 2015, 2015 to 2017, 2017 to 2019, 2019 to 2021).
- Past committee member of the Civil Practice Committee, Law Society of Singapore
- Past Chairman of Sports Committee, Law Society of Singapore
- Commissioner for Oaths
- Appointed as an Assigned lawyer with the Legal Aid Bureau, Ministry of Law
- Past Tutor, Practice Law Course of the Board of Legal Education – Family Law, Civil Procedure, Insolvency and Bankruptcy
- Fellow, Asian Institute of Alternative Dispute Resolution (AiADR)
Bursary & Scholarship
- Established the annual PKWA Law Scholarship and Lim Chong Boon Bursary for law students at the School of Law at the Singapore Management University.
- Member, Law Society of Singapore
- Member, Singapore Academy of Law
- Fellow, Asian Institute of Alternative Dispute Resolution (AiADR)
Chong Boon is a contributor/author for Lexis Practical Guidance – Family Law Module.
Co-author of “The latest Singapore law on division of matrimonial assets.”