Can you change your child’s surname after divorce?

When couples fight over custody of children, mothers sometimes express a wish to change their children’s surname after divorce. This desire is frequently brought about because of the bitterness against the father and a wish for the children to cut off ties with the father.

The changing of a child’s surname (or name) may be effected by deed poll (if the father agrees) after matrimonial proceedings or by court order during matrimonial proceedings. The changing of a child’s surname (or name) is a serious matter and the court will not condone such a change unless there are compelling reasons to do so (L v L [1996] 2 SLR(R) 529). This is regardless of whether sole custody has been granted to a parent.

In deciding whether or not to condone the change of a child’s surname, the paramount consideration is the bests interests of the child. In the case of TDI v TDJ [2016] SGFC 45, the court outlined that the court should have regard to all relevant factors such as:

  • The reasons for the registration of a particular name or surname for the child;
  • The reasons given by the parent for seeking to change the child’s registered name or surname;
  • The lapse of time between the registration of the child’s name or surname and attempted change;
  • The impact of any change in name or surname on the child (for instance, in terms of his official documentation such as his school and bank records); and
  • The importance of maintaining a link between the parent and the child through the name or surname after divorce; and
  • The wishes of the child on his choice of name or surname where he is of sufficient maturity.

It is advisable to seek your ex-spouse’s consent if you wish to change your child’s surname as this is a serious matter. Unless there are compelling reasons to justify the change, the court will generally not allow it.


Contact us

Call us

Whatsapp us

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.